You have been given this leaflet as you have asked for a prescription for something that is either available “over the counter” (OTC) from pharmacies, supermarkets and some other shops, or which has very little evidence showing that they are safe or effective.
After a local and national public consultation we no longer prescribe OTC medicines for conditions that will clear up on their own or can be easily treated at home. The NHS has a budget and cannot afford to prescribe these medications.
For children in full-time education and for people that receive benefits that allow them to have free prescriptions, your pharmacy can supply some medicines free of charge through the local minor ailments service (MK Pharmacy First). Speak to a member of the pharmacy team for more information.
Your pharmacist is a great source of advice, whether you use the MK Pharmacy First scheme or buy your medicines over the counter.
The advice to direct patients to Self-Care wherever possible has the full backing of Milton Keynes Clinical Commissioning Group (CCG) and applies to all GP surgeries in Milton Keynes. Other areas of the country will have similar policies too.
The reasons for this policy are as follows:
People should be able to look after themselves and their children where possible and manage self-limiting conditions with support from their local pharmacy if
- In order to manage common illnesses at home, you should keep a small supply of simple treatments in your medicine
- Lots of medicines are widely available from supermarkets, pharmacies and some other shops at reasonable
- Many of these treatments are more expensive when prescribed on the NHS compared to when they are bought over the
- The NHS belongs to everybody and we must ensure that funds are used in the best way for all patients.
- There have been local and national public consultations recently to support this policy: www.england.nhs.uk
Tel: 01908 278684 during office hours (answerphone available)
The Complaints and Patient Experience Lead
Milton Keynes Clinical Commissioning Group
155 Sherwood Drive Bletchley
Sonal Mehta on behalf of the Pharmaceutical Advisers May 2018
Review date: May 2020